Les Arcs, France, played host to the Columbia Speedflying competition from 4-8 February. Organised by Francois Bon, 25 competitors representing six nations were carefully selected and pitted against each other in two events.
In the first ever “Speed Cross”, or parallel slalom, event two sets of gates allowed competitors to race one-on-one, their skis having to be in contact with the snow around the gates; The “Big Mountain” or Freeride event allowed competitors to choose their own best route between the rocky spires and snow fields beneath the Aiguille Rouge des Arcs (3226m).
Antoine Montant (F) proved unbeatable, winning both events, but the Swiss competitor Gael Amann also showed very good form.
The overall results were:
1. Antoine Montant (F) (Perf-Design Spire 8m2)
2. Gael Amann (CH) (Niviuk Skate 8m2)
3. David Eyraud (F) (Air Speed Predator 8.5m2)
1. Antoine Montant (F)
2. David Eyraud (F)
3. Mathias Roten (CH) and Vincent Reffet (F)
‘Men like birds!’ The Speed Flying Pro 2008
• Got news? Send it to us at email@example.com