Photo: Thomas Schwarzer
City Slickers: Lima
This is proper urban flying. Lima is a sprawling city hemmed in by hills and choking on its own polluted streets. It breathes where it meets the Pacific Ocean in the upscale suburb of Miraflores. Take-off is in a pleasant, grassy city park on top of a cliff. In front and below you runs a busy highway and then the sea – this is no place for a top to bottom. Launch, turn and you’re in the lift band. Soar the cliffs and then, with a bit of work, the majestic glass-fronted Marriott Hotel. Wave at your reflection in the dark glass as you top out escalator-style above it. The real show though is the city of Lima behind. A tangle of city streets, traffic and high-rise buildings spread out for miles. It really is a unique situation. The scene is tandem-first, but make friends and show your credentials and you will be allowed to fly.
Originally published in the 2017 Travel Guide, as part of an article called City Slickers. You can find the other urban getaways in the series, here.
Never miss an issue
Our subscribers receive 10 issues a year, the annual Travel Guide and exclusive access to competitions and offers
Got a story?
If you have news, great images or a story, let us know
Get in touch
Join the family
By subscribing, you support the only worldwide paragliding, paramotoring and hang gliding magazine and you get:
- Ten issues delivered to your door through the year
- A 100+ page Travel Guide to the world’s best flying sites delivered with the Feb/March issue each year
- Plus: Win a paraglider in our annual subscribers’ draw each January
- Pay annually or monthly with paypal or credit card
Subscribe and never miss an issue
- Published since 1988
- The highest production values
- Gorgeous photography
- Perfect-bound, collectors’ issues
- Ten times a year each issue is airmailed to you
- Read offline on your iPad, tablet, laptop or phone
- The same content as the printed magazine
- Delivered through award-winning Zinio software
Print and digital
- Read the digital issues on your iPad, tablet, laptop or phone
- Keep the print magazines on your coffee table!
- Ten times a year, each issue is airmailed to you and sent via Zinio
© 2017 Cross Country. All Rights Reserved. Website Credit : ALL IS MACHINE