The second Asian Paragliding World Cup round finished in Linzhou, China, on 9 June. Russian Andrey Eliseev (Ozone Mantra R10.2) was the overall winner just 17 points ahead of Alex Hofer (CH, Niviuk Icepeak 3) and Orlane Sturbois (FR, Gin Boomerang 7) was top woman after three tasks were held of a possible seven. The top team were Gin and the top nation France.
Linzhou was generally shrouded in a haze, so much so that from the town it was reportedly difficult to tell what conditions were like on take-off. Throughout the week the event experienced low cloud and rain on a couple of days and winds on another, but in the end three tasks, ranging from 48 – 62 km, were flown.
The Japanese and Chinese rounds together made up the Asian Cup. Yasushi Kobayashi (JP, Gin) and China’s Xiangping Hou (Niviuk) were the male and female winners of the Cup.
Philippe Broers created many videos of the event, which can be seen on his Vimeo channel, and Jean Mi Ara compiled them into this one video of the event:
1. Andrey Eliseev, RU, Ozone Mantra R10.2
2. Alex Hofer, CH, Niviuk Icepeak 3
3. Yasushi Kobayashi, JP, Gin Boomerang
1. Orlane Sturbois, FR, Gin Boomerang 7
2. Christine Métis, FR, Gin Boomerang 7
3. Xiangping Hou, CN, Niviuk Icepeak 4
GIN – Yasushi Kobayashi, Seyong Jung, Christine Métis, Gin Seok Song
1. Yasushi Kobayashi, JP, Gin Boomerang
2. Seyong Jung, KO, Gin Boomerang 7
3. Moonseob Lim, KO, Advance Omega
1. Xiangping Hou, CN, Niviuk Icepeak 4
2. Tomomi Masuko, JP, Gin Boomerang 5
3. Noriko Mizunuma, JP, Niviuk Icepeak 3
• Got news? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to the world’s favourite hang gliding and paragliding magazine
Never miss an issue
Our subscribers receive 10 issues a year, the annual Travel Guide and exclusive access to competitions and offersSubscribe today